Silverton Yacht Owners Forums  

Go Back   Silverton Yacht Owners Forums > Maintenance
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Maintenance Discuss Your "How to Do's" that Keep Your Silverton Yacht Ready to Make Way

Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 PM
Deck Hand

Default Generator Exhaust Mod

Had a horrible time with the generator exhaust causing monoxide alarms to go go off last summer. Inspection says no leaks but i hate having to leave all the doors& windows closed when the generator is on to keep the monoxide from building up. So heres my thought,,,

On wakeboarding boats they make a tube that attaches to the exhaust that funnels the exhaust into the water and dissipates the fumes. This cheap device works great on wakeboarding boats. Can i put that on a generator exhaust? Im not too tech savy and dont know if that would cause a siphon effect and draw water into the generator exhaust? or if it would cause any other sort of problems?
If this is an absolute dumb idea please feel free to tell me. I have pretty thick skin
Old 02-16-2013, 12:15 AM
First Mate

I know on the regal owners forum they were shoving pvc into the exhaust outlet and angling it down into the water on the sedan bridge to quiet it down under the swim platform. The pvc went under water about an inch or so. But while on plane it was totally out of the water.

I have seen pool vacum hose shoved into the exhaust outlet and then routed up the bow to get it away from the stern. The hose is just laid on the water and tied to the bow cleat or eye. This is only used at anchor.

You could probally do the same with pvc while anchored and try it but it may not help. While running I get a station wagon effect on my 36c so I leave the door shut. Anchored never had a problem as of yet.

I would check the back pressure specs on the generator and go from there.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Deck Hand

Thanks for the info! i wanted to make sure that putting a pipe or tube in there wouldnt damage anything. I would only need this setup when anchored. The pool vac hose is a good idea! Like i said in my post, im not too tech savy. How would i check the back pressure specs on the generator and what would i be looking for?
Old 02-17-2013, 11:24 PM
First Mate

I would look on the web of who made it. Or call them with model number.

The pool vac hose I saw was on all different makes of boats up at silver glen. They use this because the raft ups get big and it moves the exhaust from the cockpit. I have never done it myself. It just floats on the water and burps out water and exhaust as needed.

I know about 10 or 15 years ago there was a family that died in there sleep up there from the boat next to them running the generator. The people who died did not have one and no detectors.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 AM
First Mate

Have you considered calling the manufacturer of the generator? I know on my 91" 34 express it appears that Silverton relocated the exhaust oulet from above the waterline to below the waterline, this was apparent when I saw the repair from the former thru hull opening on the port side and found a simmilar 34 express that did not have the retro-fit.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM
First Mate

If you go with the PVC pipe sticking straight down into the water just drill a small hole in the elbow, the hole will curb any siphon effects when the gen stops running.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Bad Influence,

Is your exhaust under your swim platform? If so, here's something you might want to check. On my last boat, a Carver Santego, the engines exhausted under a large swim platform. The thru-hulls for the cockpit drains were also under the same platform. When at idle the exhaust would collect under the platform and flow up the cockpit drains, into the cockpit, then into the cabin. I had to move the cockpit drains to the sides of the boat to solve the problem. I don't know if this geometry applies to your boat, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I also had a friend with a CO problem that took forever to figure out. Turned out that when he ran his blower it created a slight vaccum in the cabin and exhaust was being drawn into the boat through his sink drain. I would keep looking for the cause of the problem. I doubt that using a pipe to bubble to exhaust an inch under water is going to help much.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:22 PM
First Mate

If the blowers were creating negative pressure in the cabin they are to big or the fresh air inlets were to small. If you trapped the sink drain it would also prevent that from happening.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Admiral

mike11,

I agree that both conditions are easily fixed, once you figure out that these problems exist and are causing CO issues. One thing I like to do at least once a season is put a battery powered CO detector with a digital display in the compartment with the generator (mine is under the cockpit), close the hatch, run the genny for awhile, then check the detectors memory for the peak CO measurement. This is an easy way to determine if you have an exhaust leak or exhaust is being drawn into the vents.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:22 PM
Deck Hand

so if its being drawn into the vents then just plugging the sink will do the trick?